In honour of the 70th anniversary of the death of the English composing genius Thomas Rayner Dawson (1889-1951) – the father of Fairy chess – the British Chess Problem Society announces a Dawson Fairy Triathlon Memorial Tourney 2021.
The conditions are as follows:
- 1. The Triathlon includes three tournaments, with a separate ranking for each (Prizes, HM, Comm).
- Direct mates in 2 moves. Judge: Ofer Comay.
- Helpmates in 2 moves with at least 2 phases (2 solutions, set and solution, twins, duplex, but no zeropositions). Judge: Sven Trommler.
- Helpselfmates in 2 to 5 moves (2 solutions, set and solution, etc). Judge: Eric Huber.
- All sections have a free theme, but with the presence of at least one Grasshopper and at least one Nightrider. The combined play of these most famous pieces invented by Dawson must have a thematic significance.
- The use of other fairy pieces, royal units, or units with neutral or half-neutral colour is not permitted.
- Fairy conditions are allowed, but not those that add other fairy pieces or neutral/semi-neutral pieces.
- Each author may send a maximum of two problems per section, but…. -> PDF announcement for more details